Join us on Saturday, 9th February 2019, at Wai Yee Hong’s annual FREE Chinese New Year celebrations. We will be welcoming the Year of the Pig in style with wonderful dance performances, kung fu demonstrations, Lion Dances and live firecrackers. We will have lots of exciting performances from acts including:
Festive New Year Market
We’ve asked our friends to come and make sure you are well fed at our Festive Market. There will be lots of delicious hot food on offer, as well as Chinese pastries, gifts and face painting for the kids (and young at heart!).
- Delicious sweet wife cakes and Chinese pastries, alongside New Year gifts and knick knacks.
- Zaleha Olpin of Masterchef 2018 will be bringing her Malaysian Kitchen
- Eatchu are back with their fantastic gyoza, in a variety of flavours.
- Celebrate Tết with Vietnamese specialties like Bánh mì from Viet Vite!
- She Sells Sushi will be returning with her sushi and other Japanese favourites.
- Fancy a little spice for the New Year? Gopal’s Curry Shack will be bringing their ever-popular vegan and vegetarian Indian street food!
- Aunty Kat will be serving up her famous Chinese roasted meats and soy sauce wings.
- Desy Thai return for their second year, with their popular Thai noodle and curry dishes.
- If you fancy something sweet, visit the neighbouring Thai dessert stall!
- Omar’s Kitchen will be serving up their delicious shawarma and pakora boxes.
- Wow Faces will be spreading colour with their face painting and glitter tattoos.
Some young ones may find our kung fu lions a little too loud so instead, take a moment away from the busy food market and performances:
- Come in-store to admire the intricately crafted papier-mâché lion head we will have on display. There are lots of interesting facts about how they are made, and information on the different styles and types of Lion Dance costumes.
- Arty types can drop by our craft table, where we will have some festive makes for the little ones. Make a pretty Chinese lantern, or do some colouring in.
- Our friends from Avon & Somerset Police Cadets will be joining us too, so why not pop over to their vehicle and have a look at what they are up to.
Date: Saturday, 9th February 2019
Time: Starts at 11.00am
Entry: FREE (not ticketed, but please come early to avoid disappointment!)
Location: Eastgate Oriental City. Click for directions.
Year of the Pig
2017 is the Year of the Pig, which is the twelfth and last sign in the Chinese zodiac. Pigs are the realists of the zodiac, full of energy and enthusiasm! If you are aged 12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72, 84 or 96 this year, you are more likely than not to be a Chinese Pig.
Check out my pig horoscope!
Want to learn more about the traditions and folklore surrounding Chinese New Year? Why not take a look at:
Have a look at our celebrations from 2015, where we had an extra-special traditional lion-awakening ceremony!