The arrival of the Year of the Rat will be celebrated at Wai Yee Hong on Saturday, 25th January 2020. The annual FREE family event will feature dance and martial arts performances as well as the traditional lion dance. Acts include:
The event is free to attend, but if you would consider making a donation to Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Appeal, we would be very grateful. You can do so in the collection boxes on the day, or you can donate through our VirginMoneyGiving page: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/WaiYeeHong
Festive New Year Market
We’re pleased to reveal that our popular street food market will be returning this year. Come and taste a wide variety of Asian foods from the stalls in our market or join in the festivities by having your face painted.
- Pick up New Year gifts and delicious Chinese pastries, alongside bubble tea and hot drinks.
- Another chance to taste the non-crispy rendang from Zaleha Olpin (of Masterchef 2018) who will be cooking in her Malaysian Kitchen
- Dumplings are a traditional food for the New Year and Eatchu will be serving them up in the form of gyoza.
- Sushi and other Japanese favourites will be available from She Sells Sushi.
- We are pleased to see Gopal’s Curry Shack returning with their delicious vegan and vegetarian Indian street food!
- Cha’s will be serving up their famous Chinese roasted meats and soy sauce wings.
- Desy Thai returns with their popular Thai noodle and curry dishes.
- If you fancy something sweet, visit the neighbouring Thai dessert stall!
- We can’t wait for Omar’s Kitchen to come back with their delicious shawarma and pakora boxes.
- Wow Faces will be spreading colour with their face painting and (biodegradable) glitter tattoos.
Some young ones may find our kung fu lions a little too loud so instead, take a moment away from the busy food market and performances:
- Come in-store to admire the intricately crafted papier-mâché lion head we will have on display. There are lots of interesting facts about how they are made, and information on the different styles and types of Lion Dance costumes.
- Arty types can drop by our craft table, where we will have some festive makes for the little ones. Make a festive paper craft, or do some colouring in.
- Our friends from Avon & Somerset Police Cadets will be joining us too, so why not pop over to their vehicle and have a look at what they are up to.
Date: Saturday, 25th January 2020
Time: Starts at 11.00am
Entry: FREE (not ticketed, but please come early to avoid disappointment!)
Location: Eastgate Oriental City. Click for directions.
Year of the Rat
2020 is the Year of the Rat, which is the first sign in the Chinese zodiac. Rats are the energetic and flexible quick-thinkers of the zodiac! If you are aged 12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72, 84 or 96 this year, you are more likely than not to be a Chinese Rat.
Check out my rat horoscope!
Want to learn more about the traditions and folklore surrounding Chinese New Year? Why not take a look at: