In Chinese culture, each year is attributed to one of 12 animals: The Rat (鼠), Ox (牛), Tiger (虎), Rabbit (兔), Dragon (龍), Snake (蛇), Horse (馬), Sheep (羊), Monkey (猴), Rooster (雞), Dog (狗), Pig (豬). It is believed that each animal bestows certain personality traits to those born in their year.
Snake horoscope for the coming year:
Snakes are the deep thinkers of the zodiac; known for wisdom and humanitarianism. You tend to be quite a private person; refined and with good taste. This love of the finer things in life also means that you can be materialistic; you like to live and eat well, and to possess nice things.
In your own year of birth, it is said that you are more likely to offend the gods, which means you take extra care to avoid misfortune. This year of the snake will be one of instability and change, which means that you should plan everything carefully before undertaking any projects. This instability and change means that you will encounter difficulties in your working life. If you focus on learning from these experiences, you will surely go far.
Chinese New Year Customs
Here are a few things that you can do to celebrate the new year:
- Get your hair cut prior to the new year, so that you can start the year fresh and bright.
- Have a reunion dinner on New Year’s Eve; seeing the end of the previous year with family.
- Clean the house before New Year to sweep out bad luck and welcome good luck.
- Eat well. Eating lotus roots means that you will have food to eat every year, whilst eating prawns mean that you will have a year of joy and happiness.
- Wear red – Red is a very lucky colour in Chinese culture.
Want to learn more about the traditions and folklore surrounding Chinese New Year?